"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever! Amen." Ephesians 3:20-21

Monday, June 27, 2011

H-O-T in Texas.

Yesterday, I spent most of the day being crafty...making cards, baby gifts, and other assorted paper crafts.  I got some really cool cut files from from SVG Cuts this weekend.  (Pictures coming soon!)   After several projects, I ran into a "craft" roadblock (actually I was bored with my paper selection.  I guess a trip to the scrapbook store is in my future.)  I decided it was time for a break from the craftroom and was time to be crafty in the kitchen.  I don't know which I love more, baking or crafting!  Both give me an outlet to be creative. Although being on a diet has curbed my desire to bake recently  because I live by the rule "If you bake it, you must eat it!"

It has been incredibly hot in Texas this summer...everyday has been in the 100's.  Yesterday, was at least 107 and there does not seem to be any relief in sight.  I wanted to make something cool and refreshing...Key Lime Pie was the winner. 
My Key Lime Pie
Recipe:  This recipe came from Key West, Florida. 

Crust
1 1/4 cup of graham cracker crumbs
3 T. sugar
1/2 cup of shredded toasted coconut
1/3 cup of melted butter

Mix together and place in a greased springfrom pan.  Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.  Cool completely

Filling
1 can of Eagle's Brand Milk
2-3 T. of key lime zest
2 egg yolks (no whites)
1/2 cup key lime juice

Mix together

Topping
1 pint of Heavy Whipping Cream
3 T. sugar

Whip until stiff peaks appear

Lightly fold 1/2 of the whipped cream into the filling and place in cooled crust.

Use the remaining whipped cream for the topping.  Garnish with key limes.   Freeze for a least 3 hours.  Store in the freezer.  Makes 10-12 slices. 

Enjoy!  Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment