"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever! Amen." Ephesians 3:20-21

Saturday, July 9, 2011

“Cheat” Day Special

The first of July marked two months of Tony and I changing our eating habits.  We both have done extremely well and have really stuck to the eating plan.  We have successfully lost over 50 pounds (a small child) between the two of us.  We are not calling this a “diet” because that terminology tends to make us think that someday we can return to our old “bad” habits.  NO WAY!  We both feel healthier and have more energy.  I am not going to say that this has been easy, because it hasn’t.  However, we both feel like we are accomplishing something important for ourselves.

This brings me to today’s post…”Cheat” day!  Our new eating plan involves having one day a week where you can have anything you want.  We have found that this helps with “cravings”…we can have the food we crave but only on “cheat” day.  I truly believe that part of my failure in sticking with a “diet” has been denying myself foods that I want.  I would end up cheating too much and then eventually I would give up.  We have also found that “cheat” day tricks your body into thinking that it is not starving and it revs up your metabolism. 

The truth is I love to cook and create.  I am always looking for new recipes.  I found this recipe recently and knew right away that it would be a “cheat” day special.  Cinnamon Rolls are one of my favorite foods, (thanks to my sweet grandmother for this addiction) and I love pancakes, so what a perfect way to have both!  I am posting the recipe; however, I made some modifications which I will also note.  I hope you enjoy “cheating” as much as I did. 

Cinnamon Roll Pancakes

cinnamon roll pancakes

Yield: 4 servings (4 pancakes)   Shelley’s version (8 large pancakes)


























Prep Time: 25 min
Cook Time: 10 min



Ingredients:

PANCAKES:                                                                 
1 cup all-purpose flour                                               
2 teaspoons baking powder                                     
1/2 teaspoon salt                                                         
1 cup milk                                                                      
1 Tablespoon canola oil                                             
1 large egg, lightly beaten                                         
                                                                                        
 Shelley’s  Version  
2 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of kosher salt
6 T. of buttermilk powder *
1 cup of milk
1 cup of water
2 eggs

You could use 2 cups of buttermilk and omit the water and milk.  I am huge fan of buttermilk pancakes and it made them very light and fluffy.   

CINNAMON FILLING:  (I used the same amounts and I had plenty leftover for another batch, so you could double my recipe if you have a big family)                                  
1/2 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
CREAM CHEESE GLAZE: (same here, I used the same amounts and had plenty leftover)
4 Tablespoons butter
2 ounces cream cheese
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

directions:

1. Prepare pancake batter: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk in milk, oil and egg, just until batter is moistened (a few small lumps are fine).
2. In a medium bowl, mix butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Scoop the filling into a small zip baggie and set aside. You don't want this to remain super-liquidy. It's best if it becomes a consistency similar to toothpaste.
3. In a medium, microwave-safe bowl- heat butter and cream cheese until melted. Whisk together until smooth; whisk in powdered sugar and vanilla extract; set aside.
4. Heat large skillet over medium-low heat. Spray with nonstick spray. Scoop about 3/4 cup batter onto the skillet. Snip the corner of your baggie of filling and squeeze a spiral of the filling onto the top of the pancake. When bubbles begin to appear on the surface, flip carefully with a thin spatula, and cook until browned on the underside, 1 to 2 minutes more. Transfer to a baking sheet or platter and keep in a warm oven until ready to serve.
This is what they should look like before you flip them.

5. When ready to serve, spoon warmed glaze onto the top of each pancake.

tips:

*Keep the heat low or your pancakes might cook up too quickly. Don't flip them until you see those bubbles starting to pop on top. Flip them with a wide spatula so you can grasp the whole thing without batter and filling dripping all over the place!
*It's best if you pour the batter onto your skillet, wait a minute or so and then swirl the cinnamon onto the batter. That'll give it a chance to set a little before you add the swirl.
*If your baggie of filling begins to get too thick, just pop it in the microwave for a few seconds to soften it up again. On that same note, it shouldn't be too runny. The consistency of soft toothpaste is perfect. If it's melty and runny, it will tend to run all over your pancakes. Once you micro it, let it sit on the counter at room temp for a while until it thickens slightly.
Yum, yum  Enjoy your "cheat" day!

1 comment:

  1. I loved this post because I have been on the changing my eating habits (and my family's) for almost a year now. I have lost 40 lbs and feel so much better. I proud of you just for making a change because I for one know that it is not easy personally. So keep up the good work! BTW the pancakes look scrumptious! Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete