The motivation for this creation came from my son, Jacob who is absolutely crazy about pumpkin pie (I make him his very own pie every Thanksgiving) and apple butter. Jacob has been known to order a bowl (the bigger size) of apple butter at Cracker Barrel and eat it with a spoon. Jacob is blessed with two grandmothers who are fabulous cooks and they have kept him supplied in apple butter. He does not share “his” apple butter. Being the younger brother, Jacob has always done a great job sharing and giving to others but he draws the line when it comes to apple butter and pumpkin pie.
This pie was a huge hit with Jacob. As soon as he found out I had made the pie, he came over for a piece…granted it was 11:00 p.m. (College students keep really strange hours). Of course, I love when he visited even late at night. He is the best for my confidence level. Jacob gives the best hugs and complements. He said the pie was the “bomb.com”. I guess that is good!? I had to make an extra one for Jacob’s boss because he was so excited about it. Also, he took the rest of “his” pie with him. Tony and I barely got to taste it. The pie has a very nice combination of spice and fruit. I think it is definitely going to be a new holiday favorite at our house.
Sorry I have not been blogging lately…Master’s class! Enough said. I promise to get back to regular posts.
Apple Butter Pumpkin Pie
Ingredients:· Pie crust
· 10 oz of solid pack pumpkin
· 1 cup of apple butter (I used Bama from the store but I can’t wait to try homemade)
· ¼ cup of packed brown sugar
· 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
· 1 teaspoon of ginger
· ¾ teaspoon of nutmeg
· ¼ teaspoon of salt
· 2 eggs, beaten
· 1 can of sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated)
- ¼ cup of cold butter
- ½ cup of flour
- ½ cup of brown sugar
- ½ cup of pecans
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Prepare pie crust in a 9-inch pie pan as directed (do not bake)
- Combine filling ingredients in order listed in a mixer, blend well
- Pour the filling in prepared pie crust. Bake for 50-60 minutes until done
- Prepare streusel topping by combining sugar and flour, cut in butter until crumbly. I do this with my paddle in my mixer. Add pecans
- Take the pie out of the oven and place streusel topping on cooked pie filling, cover with foil and bake additional 15 minutes.
- Cool completely.
Make 7-8 servings.
I got the original pumpkin pie recipe from my wonderful sister-in-law, Lori Sams. I was going to use another recipe and tweak it but Lori’s recipe is Jacob’s all-time favorite so I just tweaked what was already amazing. The apple butter is a wonderful addition. Let me know if you have questions.