"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever! Amen." Ephesians 3:20-21

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Pinterest Week Three-One of my original recipes and one pinterest

Ok…this weekend was crazy so I am just now getting my blog done…sorry for all “two” of my faithful readers (including my mom).  I am “knee deep” in finishing my next to last graduate class so my crafting and cooking are definitely on the back burner. 

This week I made one of my original recipes.  Well, I need to explain my definition of “original”.   There is a restaurant in Lubbock that my family loves and they make this wonderful soup.  One day I asked for the recipe and of course, the restaurant did not feel compelled to give it to me…I can’t blame them…they to make a living also.  However, this gave offered me a challenge…and I am always up for a challenge in the kitchen.  (Food Network is my destiny…LOL) So here is my version of Green Chile Potato Soup.  I hope you enjoy this treat on a cold winter day.  It will warm you up for sure.
Shelley's Creamy Green Chile and Potato Soup

Shelley’s Creamy Green Chile and Potato Soup
5 lbs of potatoes-boiled and chopped (I shred the potatoes with the skin on.)
1 ½ sticks of butter
8 cloves of fresh garlic
1 sweet onion, chopped
3 stalks of celery, chopped
1 container of frozen hot green chilies (12-14 oz), thawed
6 strips of bacon; chopped finely
1 quart of chicken broth
4 cups of milk
2 lbs of Velveeta
2 cups of smoked Gouda or cheddar cheese 
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook bacon in large stock pan until brown.  Add butter and sauté onions, celery and garlic until tender.  Add green chilies.  Simmer for a few minutes.  Add broth and milk, simmer until warm.  Add Velveeta; allow melting at med-low heat, stirring often.  Add Gouda or Cheddar cheese, allow melt.  Add cooked potatoes.  Allow to heat through. 
Make:   7 quarts plus 
My Pinterest Recipe:
This weekend I decided to try Caramel Pecan Bread…yummy!   It is super easy and quite tasty.  I got the recipe from Plain Chicken.   You really need to check out her recipes. 
I did not vary this recipe much, but I can see some great potential on making it my own version.   I will definitely skip the caramel sauce next time and use brown sugar and milk instead.  

Caramel Pecan Bread

Here’s the recipe:

Caramel Pecan Bread
6 Tbs butter
1/2 jar caramel ice cream topping ( I use the kind in a squeeze bottle and use 1/3 cup)
½ teaspoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 cup chopped pecans 1 can biscuits (10 count - I used Pillsbury Golden Layer biscuits) 

Preheat oven to 350. Melt butter in 8-inch saute pan over medium heat. Remove from heat, stir in caramel and pecans.  Add cinnamon and vanilla.  Cut each biscuit into 4 pieces and toss in caramel mixture.  Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.

I hope you have an amazing, blessed Thanksgiving.  I am thankful for each and every one of you.  I hope to have lots of stuff to post throughout the holidays.  If you come across a great recipe, let me know.  Blessings to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment